Saturday, February 19, 2011

Perpetual Brown Unrest

"These people are so poor, and so black..."

"There's only 2 things I hate in this world...people who are intolerant of other people's cultures.......and the Dutch!"

Sorry, had to throw a couple random yet tactfully relevant quotes in there before getting on my soapbox...

If you've gone on the internet (which
you obviously have), turned on the
TV or radio, or basically came out from under your rock within the past couple weeks, you can probably guess what the post title is referring to. Yes, I realize there's very legitimate reasons for the current struggles going on in Egypt, many of which I'm admittedly not privy/exposed to. But, I do know this...at the end of the day, I don't give a shit. Really. I wish I did, but I don't. Now, me not being privy to every detail is not completely unrelated to my irreverence. I understand there will be a worldwide logistical impact from how this plays out. The issue, I suppose, is the passive-aggressive message we seem to get bombarded with by the media about how we should care for our "fellow brothers and sisters."

Before you jump to the conclusion that I'm an insensitive prick (which I am, but that's another post for another day), hear me out. All things equal, I'd of course hope the Perpetual Brown Unrest gets resolved. Nevertheless, we as a people have been bitching for years about us (as if to say everyone in the U.S. is collectively an "us") getting involved in foreign messes. But...of course...that's only used for things we disagree with.

Side 1: "Oh we GOTTA put a stop to THAT!"

Side 2: "This thing over here though, what gives us the right to be the world's police?"

I get both sides, and quite honestly, I think each mindset has merit. But, we need to make up our fuckin mind....keep it consistent at least. How could one not see the irony/comedy when watching some old suit pontificating about how we need to stay out of all foreign affairs, followed by a commercial with Sally Struthers' fat ass wailing/whaling (gotta love homonyms) about feeding the children in Africa?

Look, I think it's incredibly admirable for those who choose to help out others in foreign lands. As for me, I may not say/think it outright, but I guess my actions suggest I'd much rather get a drink at the bar for a couple bucks than feed "all the children in these poor, hopeless villages for 3 weeks" (or whatever the outrageous, i.e. made-up, claim is) with those same couple bucks. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose. Must be a heartless asshole.

And for the record...I'd also be saying the same thing for a bunch of Germans or Englishmen (i.e. Pale Unrest) treating their own streets like they're Charlie Sheen in a hotel room. Am I really supposed to look at my TV screen and give a rat's ass about their plight? "But...but...but the media just likes to portray things like that, SavageBroRon!" No argument there, and that's part of the problem.

I know I'm rambling, so I'll get to my bottom line. I don't necessarily view America as "better" than anywhere else in the world. My patriotism is not overflowing. You're not gonna find me belting out Lee Greenwood and shooting bald eagles outta my ass anytime soon. I realize there are both short-term and long-term global-scale ramifications for what happens in Egypt. I'll never truly know what it's like to live in that type of environment. I have no anger or ill will toward what's happening or the people involved, just indifference. Ideally, I'd see these images on TV, put on my Green Peace wardrobe (which apparently consists of drab colors and B.O.), and actually make a difference. That said, it moves me not in the slightest...let's stop pretending that it should.

(Ohhh, he's an insensitive prick. - Gaffigan style)

0 comments:

Post a Comment